To build an Enterprise Integration Platform, you have four major categories to integrate:
- Business process layer
- Application layer
- Data layer
- Infrastructure layer
Figure 1, Enterprise Integration Platform
Most business units have multiple sub domains with their own data models, processes and technologies. Integrating all of them requires complex and efficient architecture, tools, time, and costs just to name a few.
Fortunately, you have multiple Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) tools to get the job done, though you want the ones with the end-to-end capabilities you need. Your EAI solution should also be cost-effective with a high return on your investment.
Figure 2, Point to Point Integration
However, connecting applications is not enough. You need service oriented architecture (SOA) to make your network flexible and agile through point-to-point integration. This can lead to complex logic, redundant interfaces, scalability issues, visibility issues, and delays in your business response as your system grows. You also need a good enterprise service bus (ESB) solution to address these new concerns.
Figure 3, Message bus integration style
Figure 4, ESB
With so many open and proprietary ESB solutions available including Dell Boomi, WSO2, Talend ESB, IBM Websphere ESB and others, you must choose the right tool based on your business needs, architectural capabilities, and the cost effectiveness of the solution for enterprise integration platform.
Some of the main components of a good ESB solution include:
- Loose coupling: decoupling clients and service provider.
- Protocol conversion: Accept incoming protocol and communicate with different protocol to the client in the understanding pattern.
- Message Translation: transformation of messages with correct data formatting
- Message routing : providing content based routing and Itinerary services
It is referenced in Enterprise Service Bus
- Service coordination: management of business services in correct coordination
- End point resolution : Resolve the messaging issues
- Monitoring: monitor development and run time policies, track dependencies and take care of life cycle management.
- Adapters : Adapts the protocol and formats
- Connectors: Connect with data, API, Legacy mainframes and Services.
- Pipes and filters: perform complex logic on a message.
- Message Bridge : How multiple messaging systems are to be connected
- Message Bus: Architecture enabling separate applications to work together in decoupled fashion; so that applications are easily added or removed without affecting others.
- Business rule engine : Business process rules are defined and implemented as per the rules
- Publish and subscribe : This is for service
- Transaction management: It takes care of single and multiple transactions.
It is referenced in:
- Content enricher: How to communicate with one another if the message originator lacks required data.
- Security: It has features in identity management and secured.
- Exceptional handling. It is used in fault management.
- Agility: More flexible and agile in continuous integration.
- Reusability: Reuse and avoiding the reinventing the same wheel.
- Configuration: The tool has this one as the backbone.
- Load balancing : In production environment, how services are clustered to scale up and to achieve high availability
- Connected business : Entire business is connected across enterprise
- Integrated environment: all applications are integrated.
- Quicker time to market: Advantage of using capable tool.
Figure 5, Flowchart
WSO2 Enterprise Integrator is an excellent open source, end-to-end ESB solution that provides your organization the data integration, services integration, application integration, cloud support and business analytics while keeping you under budget
Figure 6, EI
It comes as a single package with all of these modules and profiles included:
- ESB Service Integration (WSO2 ESB)
- Message broker(WSO2 MB)
- Business process(WSO2 BPS)
- Micro-services and Analytics.
- Real-time data processing (WSO2 DSS)
- WSO2 Governance registry
- WSO2 business activity monitor (BAM)
- API manager and identity server
You will find more information on what these modules, and their configuration options in our Reference documentation( WSO2 Library).
Figure 7, configuration
WSO2 EAI modules makes your IT management simpler. Enterprise integration platform usually takes several different tools and 8 months to complete, and that does not count the additional 5 months you need to develop and build the analytics system. With WSO2, you can do it in half the time and still have all the features and benefits in place when you want and need them. It also reduces your total costs and the complexity of your network.
Figure-8 shows how much maintenance cost are reduced using ESB. There are 50 applications are to be integrated. As the systems are added more , it shows the cost is not increased after certain values, where as in other methods cost is increased exponentially.
More details are referenced in:
The figure-9 shows how many interfaces get reduced using ESB. There are 50 applications are to be integrated. It shows maximum of 50 interfaces are only needed, where as in other methods you need more than 250 interfaces.
Comparing WS02 tool with other tools will make the understanding better. WSO2 is listed as one among top tools in enterprise integration as per the industry feedback in various parameters.
WSO2 creates a standardized, fully interoperable, single point of contact for all your business infrastructure, allowing you to quickly monitor and handle any risks and points of failure in your network. Contact us today to find out for yourself why our customers praise the effectiveness of our product at improving their IT networks and systems.